Ever watch that show, What Not to Wear? Generally, the same holds true in an interview with conservative being best when it comes to making an impression and not becoming the office joke. See below for some general do’s and don’ts when it comes to dressing appropriately for the interview.
What Not to Wear. . . for an interview
General Rules and Recommendations:
- Select apparel, fragrances, jewelry, hairstyle, etc. that do not detract from your professional image. The interviewer’s attention should be focused on what you say and your qualifications.
- Make sure your hair is clean, neat and professionally styled. Avoid styles that covers over more than your forehead or one that you have to brush back.
- Remove facial and body piercings other than single ear jewelry for interviews. Visible tattoos should be covered to avoid distraction.
- Apparel should be clean and neatly pressed.
- Apparel should fit well and remain in place while sitting and/or walking.
- Keep your look simple especially since you are not yet familiar with company dress code.
Choose professional apparel that you like for which you receive positive feedback from people who are knowledgeable about the industry standard or specific company policy.
Less is more.