The position of Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) has grown over the past decades into a senior level, strategic management role within human resources. The responsibilities of a Chief Diversity Officer can vary based on industry and company size, as well as regulations and compliance that may vary state by state, so specificity in the job description is imperative. A job posting is part of talent brand marketing while job descriptions like the one you see below are meant for your career site and for links in job postings to give your prospective Chief Diversity Officer job seeker more detailed information. Job descriptions must contain all the important information about the role and should be optimized with keywords that will drive traffic to the listing on your career site. We’ve put together a basic set of guidelines on how to write an effective job description posting and template.
Chief Diversity Officer Job Duties and Salary
The Chief Diversity Officer is focused solely on diversity initiatives for the organization. This position in Fortune 500 companies and those within the tech industry normally reports directly to the CEO. This individual is focused on increasing diversity and inclusion within an organization. Sometimes this role is also referred to as Vice President of Diversity and could also report directly to the CHRO depending on a company’s organizational structure. This position is strategic and is an exempt level position.
The average pay for a Chief Diversity Officer is $128,000 per year. Those in the 90th percentile make $211,000 per year, and those in the 10th percentile have an income of $75,000.
Chief Diversity Officer Job Description
Company ABC is a staffing agency in the U.S. known for our creative, marketing, and executive talent placement. We place permanent and contract-to-hire professionals in hard-to-fill positions for organizations from startups to the Fortune 50.
We’re looking for an exceptional Chief Diversity Officer for an internal role in human resources at our corporate headquarters in beautiful Duluth, Minnesota. This is a salaried position, full-time, onsite, and responsible for diversity and inclusion programs for our workforce.
A typical day as Chief Diversity Officer includes:
- Creating and leading execution of company-wide programs to support diversity and inclusion.
- Ensuring an end-to-end inclusive recruiting, screening, hiring, onboarding and employee experience.
- Provides for the advancement of equality, diversity and inclusion in our current recruitment and retention programs.
- Testing our hiring and internal programs to ensure the highest standards of diversity compliance is met.
- Ensure that employees have a comfortable place to work and learn, regardless of their race, gender, age, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Communicate frequently with departmental and executive stakeholders to understand the unique needs of our workforce.
What you’ll like most about working in Human Resources at Company ABC:
- We take great pride in offering our workforce the best benefits and compensation packages in our industry, and we think you will too.
- Everyone at ABC Company contributes to the development of programs, regardless of role. Your input will not only be heard; it will be encouraged.
- As a member of our HR team, you’ll be driving our company culture and what makes us an amazing place to work.
We’re looking for candidates who:
- Have a master’s degree in human resource management or one of the social sciences.
- Have 5+ years of experience working in compliance or related human resources function.
- Have a strong familiarity and understanding of legal matters related to diversity, equality and inclusion, specifically federal guidelines as well as at the state level.
- Have experience developing and incorporating inclusion initiatives, such as organization-wide diversity training and multicultural events.
- Have solid communication skills and compassionate nature.
- Human resources compliance and extensive understanding of current EEOC guidelines.
- Proven experience developing employee engagement, retention, and inclusion initiatives and programs.
What we offer our employees:
- A competitive compensation and benefit package, plus performance-based bonus incentives. Our corporate HQ offers on-site concierge services for dry cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping delivery, as well as catered lunches and a stocked snack and drinks pantry. We’re a culture that thrives on training and development and offer several ongoing management training and leadership programs.
With three decades in the staffing industry, Company ABC has become a standout among its peers as a talent-driven, creativity-focused agency. Our employees and contract workforce have ranked us in the top 50 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor every year since 2002. Talent is what makes Company ABC successful, and we’re proud of our ability to deliver top talent to hundreds of well-known organizations for their unique marketing and creative staffing needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here. The employee will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Like what you see? Check out the rest of our human resources job titles, HR salary information, and templates.