Jessica Miller-Merrell | , , , , , , , , , , , ,| By
Brand Yourself as Part of Your Personal Marketing Plan
As job seekers enter into the job search, research and preparation are the two most important and also overlooked job search strategies. Eager candidates often dive into the super competitive world of resumes and personal branding without developing a proper personal marketing plan.
Just like any project, it’s important to understand your product’s (you) features and benefits, your target market, as well as your current competition while having a clear plan and strategy to ensure success. Whether you are currently waist deep in the job search or preparing to enter the race, here are some job search books to consider when developing your personal marketing strategy.
Top Five Books to Help Develop Job Search Stageties and Your Personal Brand
From the Personal Brand Leader: Dan Schawbal
- Me 2.0. by Dan Schawbel. Dan is the leader in personal branding. At age 24, he wrote, Me 2.0. Although Me 2.o is geared to young professionals, it provides insight to professionals of all ages whether you are in the job market or as a professional interested in development and personal marketing. Dan’s book is easy to read and offers a real-world 4 step strategy for discovering, creating, communicating, and maintaining your personal brand. Additionally, Dan offers insight to how businesses can grow and develop their own personal brand to promote their products, service, or attract qualified candidates. For more information surrounding personal branding, visit his Personal Branding Blog.
The Crucial Conversations Book
- Crucial Conversations. Tools for talking when stakes are high. by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, & Al Switzler. I am currently half way through this book but am loving every minute of it. I have already begun using and taking steps to have those difficult yet crucial conversations not only in my professional life but also my personal life I recommend this book for employees who are considering taking the plunge into the job search but are reluctant. This book can help you work with difficult bosses and destructive co-workers. Vital Smarts, the company behind Crucial Conversations offers real world case studies, webinars, and other resources.
Sell Your Personal Marketing Plan with Jeffrey Gitomer
- Jeffrey Gitomer’s Little Red Book of Selling. by Jeffrey Gitomer. I had the pleasure to listen to Jeffrey speak several years ago. He is no-nonsense, engaging, and motivating sort of way. I left his seminar pumped up and ready to take the tips and tools he provided me out into the real world. Sales is so much a part of the job search. It is most important to understand how to sell yourself and this book does that. One of my favorite Jeffrey Gitomer quotes, “In sales, it’s not who you know. In sales, it’s who knows you.” This is equally true for job seekers in the job search.
Online Job Search Strategies with Alison Doyle
- Internet Your Way to the Job Search: How to Really Find a Job Online. by Alison Doyle. Alison is one of the leading job search experts on the internet and is a featured contributor on About.com. Her book in its second addition includes expert advice and opinions from recruiters and career coaches to help you navigate the world wide web as a job seeker. She discusses the importance of social media strategies, personal branding, and how to use technology effectively in the job search. Her book is a must read for the serious job seeker.
Lou Alder’s Book on Performance Based Hiring
- Hire With Your Head. by Lou Alder. Lou’s company, The Adler Group as well as his book discusses the concept of Performance Based Hiring. His book discusses how companies should use a combination of techniques to ensure that they are hiring quality candidates who will meet and exceed performance expectations. One bad placement or hiring decision can cost a company thousands and thousands of dollars. This book discusses techniques on how businesses can go beyond going with their gut when making a job offer. As a candidate it is important for you to understand the methods, strategies, and decisions businesses make when making a candidate job offer.
Branding yourself is not as intimidating as it might seem when it is part of personal marketing plan. Do your homework and get these books to develop job search strategies that work!