Blogging4Jobs has been a long time supporter of TalentNet. Join the B4J Crew in Dallas 9/12/14 by clicking here.
Last March, I attended my first TalentNet event at SXSW in Austin, Texas. The main attraction for me was to meet some of the people whom I admire greatly in the recruiting field. I wanted to learn how other recruiters had been successful in their endeavors to attract, recruit and retain employees in a highly competitive market.
What is an Unconference?
Unconferences are unstructured conferences different than the traditional conference model. Participants guide and join in the discuss just as much as the speakers who lead tracks instead of traditional sessions. There are generally no powerpoint presentations.
The way I see it, the only way recruiters are going to be successful today is to keep up with the changes that are happening in this constantly evolving profession. The profession has its basics, but in the 20 years I have been involved, the way we find candidates and the way we attract them to our businesses is very different. The truth is recruiting will continue to change as technology changes.
Complete our HR & Recruiting Buyer Survey. Enter to win one of five $25 Visa gift cards. Click here.
Yes, recruiting is sales. Yes, there will always be the phone. Yes, there will always be relationships. Those things will never change. What will change however, is how we do our jobs.
Big Data, Mobility, Social Media, Personal Branding are some of the things that are now present that are changing the role of the modern day recruiter. These terms weren’t even around 10 years ago. Recruiters who don’t embrace these things will be dinosaurs quickly!
5 Reasons to Attend TalentNet Recruiting Conference
I am honored to be a part of this event and here are 5 reasons I believe you should attend this TalentNet unconference event or one in the near future.
- You will learn something new about using Twitter to recruit. Recruiters who are the most creative will win the war on talent. This is just another tool that you can use to become successful at your job. Twitter is a tool that most recruiters don’t use, but would love to learn how to become effective at using.
- There will be a session on cold-calling. As discussed earlier, like it or not, recruiting is sales and cold calling is a part of your job. You will discuss best practices and learn from others who have had success.
- There will be a discussion on global recruiting. What things do you have to consider when recruiting global? How do you effectively manage time zone differences? How do you manage expectations and understand cultural differences?
- Recruiter Branding will be a hot topic. There will be a discussion on the importance of a good personal brand, & company brand. How does that help you recruit people into your organization? What steps do you have to take to improve your brand? You will learn some success stories from people who have done a great job with branding.
- LinkedIn changes. LinkedIn has gone through a number of changes over the past year. (Read about some of those changes by clicking here.) How do you effectively run LinkedIn searches TODAY? What things do you need to know about LinkedIn that may have not been told.
So, of course that is not all, but at least that may entice you a little. There is still space and if you can’t make the TalentNet event this year, I would strongly recommend you attending the next one in Austin, Texas at Whole Foods Corporate Headquarters on March 13, 2015. It is a very laid back atmosphere and everyone you talk to is open and easy to engage with. The people that make an effort to go to these events will learn more and stay ahead of the rest. This years event is September 12, 2014 in Dallas Texas and you can register here.