HRCI & SHRM Re-Certification Secrets on 6/29 or 7/20 at 11 AM CST. Recert credits available. Register here.
I’m in SHRM Annual Conference planning mode this week. I just made my final grocery and clothes shopping order to Amazon and Nordstrom before I start packing. As we many of us start making our way to SHRM 2016, I want to squeeze every opportunity to connect, engage and learn from my peers and colleagues. All while simultaneously working from my hotel room. I still have a job to do, after all, which is why I look to apps to maximize my personal and professional productivity. I’m a traveler who loves to work from the road, in part thanks to my constant travel companion, my iPhone.
10 BEST APPS FOR MANAGING TRAVEL & PRODUCTIVITY AT #SHRM16
There are millions of apps out there. Here are the ten apps I’ll be using as I travel with me, my luggage and my 7 year old daughter, Ryleigh in tow. I look forward to seeing you next week!
- Uber. As I mentioned on the SHRM Preview Podcast, there is construction happening all over the metro, which means huge delays. Uber is the best way to get around the city. It might be more expensive but you’ll make it to the party in time to get another free round on that law firm. IOS | Google Play
- FlightAware. Great app that helps you figure out what terminal and gate your connecting flight is at. This is super helpful if there are travel delays or a connection that is a little tight. Simply download the app and you can not only find your flights but the flights of friends and family members. IOS | Google Play
- Dragon Dictation. Even though you’re out of office email is on, I know you are still working. I use Dragon Dictation to send voice texts, email and notes. I use this to send myself or my colleagues notes on a session I’ve attended or to remind myself what I need to add to next week’s grocery list. You can easily do this in the Uber or SHRM Shuttle Bus before your first session. DD also integrates with EverNote which I use along with my LiveScribe Pen, Paper and App. IOS | Google Play
- OpenTable. This app is my go to for booking dinner, lunch and brunch reservations from the palm of your hand. It’s my travel go-to. IOS | Google Play
- Yelp. I love to find hidden food gems and holes in the wall in the city I’m visiting. Yelp helps me understand what foods or drinks to avoid or consider as I look for a Zagat rated food spot you never heard of in DC. IOS | Google Play
- Twitter. If you experience travel delays or have questions about your hotel or a customer service problem, Twitter is the best place to make things happen. Airlines like @Delta, @AmericanAir and @SouthwestAir are on Twitter. I have used Twitter to re-book a flight that was canceled while on the tarmac. Thank you, Southwest! IOS | Google Play
- Snapchat. I’m all in on Snapchat and what’s even better, is that we have special Blogging4Jobs filters for you to use at this year’s 2016 SHRM Conference. Follow me on Snapchat at @jmillermerrell and be on the lookout for our special SHRM16 filters. IOS | Google Play
- Waaaaay! I use Waze when I’m driving and to navigate traffic, however, Waaaaay! helps you navigate when walking. This app is a huge improvement over the Apple map walking directions functionality on their app. Plus, you can share your destination with friends. IOS | Google Play
- GroupMe. Want to connect with friends privately at the conference to tell them where you are at? GroupMe is for you. It offers both SMS (texting) and an app option. IOS | Google Play
- SHRM’s Conference App. SHRM has a great app available both on IOS and Google Play. You can view presentation decks of speakers, connect with friends and help organize the sessions you are looking forward to. The conference app is my go to when navigating the expo hall. IOS | Google Play
What are your must have apps that you can’t live without as you make your way to Washington DC?
READ MORE SHRM ANNUAL CONFERENCE RESOURCES
- How to Get the Most Out of SHRM ~ Podcast