I am almost 24 hours away from landing in sunny San Diego to serve as a member of the SHRM Blog Squad. As a first timer to the conference but not a stranger to large conferences, I’ve come prepared. Here are some topics you can expect over the next few days. If you have one in particular you would like to see, please message me directly at email@example.com.
iPads, SHRM, & Getting My Nerd On
- Healthcare Reform. It’s a topic that is in the back of most every HR person and small business person’s mind and how these changes will shape our healthcare programs and systems. I plan on attending sessions and talking with experts to keep us informed and educated on Healthcare Reform.
- Generational Issues. I’m eager to review a new book about Millenials in the Workplace and hope to begin reading the book on my flight. I’ll be speaking with experts and getting insights from HR professionals about the generational problem. Is it an issue or just an excuse? I will also be touching on the recent Supreme Court ruling on texting and privacy in the workplace.
- EEOC and Legalese. Never one to shy away from the real issues I am eager to attend several sessions on the EEOC’s point of view and direction they are heading with regard to discrimination as well as their views on social media networks. I’m hoping that this will be addressed at the conference. One session that is particular interesting is called the Ultimate HR Booster Shot discussing recent case law and trends. One vendor booth I’d encourage you to visit is Online Visas & Immigration Magazine, No. 4333. Joe Velie, the owner of Velie Law is @online_visas on Twitter. Stop by and say hi. They are giving away a pretty hefty Apple Gift Card at their booth. Tell them @blogging4jobs sent you.
In addition to being part of the Blog Squad, I will be providing insights into the National SHRM Conference for the folks over at HR.Toolbox.com daily to their members. I will also be livestreaming two Job Search Secrets this week. One show will be during our regular scheduled time on Sunday at 9 PM EST and another Monday at 3 PM EST. I’ll be streaming live from the Beyond.com booth no. 3431. Monday’s show will discuss niche social networking, it’s future, and why it’s important. For Sunday’s show, I’m still working out all the details.
I will also be partnering with Generational author, Sherri Elliott-Yeary who’s book Ties to Tattoos is featured during the conference. As part of the festivities, she is giving away an iPad with the winner announced on July 2, 2010. Both conference attendees and those on twitter can enter their chance to win. There are no limit to the amount of entries one can have.
Here are the details:
Enter in to win a iPad at the National SHRM Conference June 27-30, 2010:
- Send a tweet with the hash tags #shrm10 & #tiestotattoos
- Spot Sherri Elliott-Yeary at the conference and take a photo with Sherri and her book (Visit her blog, Sherri Speaks as well)
- Spot SHRM blog squad member, Jessica Miller-Merrell & take a picture with her to be entered
I look forward to meeting and tweeting with all of you and if you’re attending the conference, let’s connect! Don’t be afraid to say hi. I’ve honestly never met a stranger.