Going green is more than just a passing phase. It’s an important topic that is finally getting the attention it deserves. Going green is not just recycling and energy conservation, it is a lifestyle choice that impacts every part of your life–including your job search. Here are some ways you can positively impact the planet and Green-UP your job search.
Green-UP Your Job Search
- Green-UP Your Resume. If printing your resume, use recycled paper and soy based inks. Emailing your resume or applying for positions via electronic application is a great way to limit your carbon footprint.
- Green-UP Your Commute. Car-pooling or taking public transportation are not always options depending on your location. I recommend scheduling your interview during non-peak commute times when there is less traffic. Try to schedule other errands after your interview, saving you time and energy.
- Green-UP Your Home. Turn off all unnecessary home appliances and electronics during your interview. “Vampire Electronics” like your hair dryer or your cell phone charger continue to suck electricity even when plugged into the outlet and not in use, adding up to 25% of your home utility bill.
- Green-UP Your Job. Ask your prospective company, what ways they are making an impact in saving the planet or improving the environment. Not in the job hunt? Make a difference at your place of employment by starting a paper recycling program or encouraging others to use biodegradable cups and silverware.
- Green-UP Your Water. Use an aluminum refillable water bottle instead of purchasing a plastic bottle. You can save some green by being green.