The position of Chief of Staff in HR is crucial to any mid- to large-sized organization. The Chief of Staff essentially manages company managers for a board of executives, acting as a communications and organization liaison between the company’s officers and middle management. This is a position that requires many years of experience and education at the highest level, which means that writing a job description for a Chief of Staff can be difficult. Your job postings are part of your company’s talent brand, while job descriptions like the one you see below are meant for your career site and for links in job postings to give your prospective Chief of Staff candidates more detailed information. Job descriptions must contain all the important information about the role and should be optimized with keywords that will drive traffic to the listing on your career site. We’ve put together a basic set of guidelines on how to write an effective job description posting and template.
Chief of Staff Job Duties and Salary
The Chief of Staff is always a salaried position. Depending on the size of the organization, the Chief of Staff is an executive manager who works under the immediate supervision of the highest management at a company — typically under a chief executive officer (CEO), chief operating officer (COO), or senior vice president. They work directly with high-level executives, attend meetings with department managers, coordinate various areas of the business, and generally help to implement the visions of senior executives within the rest of the company. The Chief of Staff attends board meetings and provides progress reports for the board on execution of company initiatives and works directly with the senior leader to which they are assigned, receives direction from that company officer, and is expected to carry forward and implement that direction. This is an exempt level position and often a key decision maker at the company.
The average pay for Chief of Staff is $110,342 per year. Those in the 90th percentile make $181,000 per year, and those in the 10th percentile have an income of $63,000.
Chief of Staff Job Description
Company ABC is a staffing agency in the U.S. known for our creative, marketing, and executive talent placement. We place permanent and contract-to-hire professionals in hard-to-fill positions for organizations from startups to the Fortune 50.
We’re looking for an experienced Chief of Staff for an internal role at our corporate headquarters in beautiful Duluth, Minnesota. This is a salaried position, full-time, may work both remote and onsite, and will work directly with our senior leadership team, coordinate essential company communication, execution of company policies, programs and annual organizational goals.
A typical day as Chief of Staff includes:
- Develop and drive organizational effectiveness and support the executive team on all major initiatives.
- Organize and prioritize critical issues for our executive team.
- Facilitate and provide guidance to management teams on projects of high importance to the company.
- Acting as an advisor to our executive team as well as supervisors of the executive administrative staff.
- Develop goals to support broad functional policies and approve policies developed by department managers.
- Be part of the hiring process for company managers, including interviewing and vetting candidates for key roles.
What you’ll like most about working in Human Resources at Company ABC:
- We take great pride in offering our workforce the best benefits and compensation packages in our industry, and we think you will too.
- Everyone at ABC Company contributes to the development of programs, regardless of role. Your input will not only be heard; it will be encouraged.
- As a key support staff of our leadership team, you’ll be driving our company culture and what makes us an amazing place to work.
We’re looking for candidates who:
- Have a Master’s Degree in business administration or a related field.
- Have 8+ years of managerial experience gained through increasingly responsible positions within mid- to large-sized organizations.
- Have exceptional communication and leadership skills.
- Have specialized training in organizational and operations management, strategic planning, and executive support.
- Have extensive experience presenting information to high-level executives.
- Experience working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Experience in strategic decision making and working with data that drives those decisions.
- Direct experience in workforce planning.
What we offer our employees:
- A competitive compensation and benefit package, plus performance-based bonus incentives. Our corporate HQ offers on-site concierge services for dry cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping delivery, as well as catered lunches and a stocked snack and drinks pantry. We’re a culture that thrives on training and development and offer several ongoing management training and leadership programs.
With three decades in the staffing industry, Company ABC has become a standout among its peers as a talent-driven, creativity-focused agency. Our employees and contract workforce have ranked us in the top 50 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor every year since 2002. Talent is what makes Company ABC successful, and we’re proud of our ability to deliver top talent to hundreds of well-known organizations for their unique marketing and creative staffing needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here. The employee will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Like what you see? Check out the rest of our human resources job titles, HR salary information, and templates.