Jessica Miller-Merrell | , , , ,| By
Named Forbes Best Career Site in 2012
Since 2007, Blogging4Jobs has been providing content of the career, HR, and workplace variety with over 1,100 publish blog posts since it’s inception. That, my friends is a lot of blogs and is nearly 600,000 words give or take a few thousand. We’re excited, humbled, and honored to be listed among Forbes Top 75 Career Websites. The list includes the usual job search suspects including job boards like Monster, Dice, and CareerBuilder; job aggregators like Indeed, LinkUp, and SimplyHired; social media search tools like Tweet My Jobs (read our review of TMJ); and the ever-popular LinkedIn. Personally, I call LinkedIn the marijuana of social media. It’s the gateway drug of social networks because its simple, professional, and doesn’t cross over into the gray area of personal sharing. That gray area is where people get confused. Sites like those mentioned above are invaluable to the online job search as they provide a list of job postings and openings for the active job seeker.
The list included a number of blogs as resources which I believe is invaluable to the passive as well as active job seeker. Managing your career involves planning, knowledge, and education into the inter-workings of the organization where you work, the industry, and your competition. And by competition, I mean your peers. I was excited to see a number of blogs who made the list that provide important insights into the hiring process, getting promoted, and the job search.
Some of my favorites from the Forbes 2012 Top Career Sites list:
- Evil HR Lady. One of the longest standing HR blogs, the Evil HR Lady provides an honest approach into the world of human resources. Ask an honest question about your boss, getting fired, or the hiring process, and she’ll give you a real response. Check out Evil HR Lady.
- Come Recommended. Heather Huhman dispenses great advice on a number of job search and career topics particularly for the young professional. Heather also happens to write at Blogging4Jobs as well. We’re lucky to have her here. Check out Come Recommended.
- Personal Branding Blog. Dan Schwabel literally wrote the book on personal branding. Dan’s blog has multiple contributors like we do here and offers great insights into the word of the job search and how to build your personal brand. Check out Personal Branding Blog.
- InternMatch Blog. Nathan Parcells and his team are doing amazing things helping companies fill intern job openings while also dispensing fantastic advice for young career professionals. Nathan Parcells, their CEO also writes for us here on Blogging4Jobs. Check out InternMatch. (Disclosure: I work with these guys, and they are awesome!)
- Stiletto Woman. This blog had me at it’s name. But seriously, the site provides career insights and resources for female professionals and entrepreneurs. I’ll be subscribing to their RSS. Check out Stiletto Woman.
Top Career Blogs on the Blogging4Jobs Website
You can check out the entire list of 75 Forbes best career websites here. We’re over the moon that we’re on the list. We also thought we’d get you started with some of our favorite blog posts related to careers and the world of work:
- How to Deal with My Sucky Boss. Having a crappy boss stinks. We’ve had more than our share. Here are some tips to help improve your boss and make you look like a rock star. Read here.
- How to Hire Backwards. Boomerang employees, those employees who have worked for you before can be a great candidate pool for rehires. They’re trained and understand the company’s culture. Learn why they might be a great hire for you. Read here.
- Maximum Unemployment Benefits by State. Ever wonder what the maximim amount of unemployment benefits you are allowed to receive in your state? Here’s the most comprehensive and accurate list on the internet. Read here.
- Worried About Getting Fired Because of Facebook? Learn four tips from human resources and workplace pros that will keep you from getting fired at work because of your Facebook activities on or off the clock. Read here.
- Telecommuting and the Evolution of Workshifting in the Workplace. Get insights into working from home and the virtual office to help you manage your team better or make the case to work from home. Read here.
Thank for reading and supporting Blogging4Jobs. Myself, and our 15 monthly contributors thank you. We continue to work hard taking the world of work and human resources to uncomfortable yet necessary places giving it to the reader straight and without the bull.