HRCI & SHRM Re-Certification Secrets on 6/29 or 7/20 at 11 AM CST. Recert credits available. Register here.
This week on Blogging4Jobs, we are focusing on the theme Big Data sponsored by Jibe. Jibe provides cloud-based recruiting technology solutions that enable talent acquisition teams to strategically identify, attract and engage candidates. Join us April 10th 2014 at 3pm to talk Big Data on Twitter using the hashtag #BigDataHR and join our webinar, “What’s the Big Deal with Big Data in HR & Recruiting” on April 17th at 11a EST. Follow the week by bookmarking us!
The spirit of the American people has been at an all time low for years now. As if we haven’t gone through enough with the recession and all the changes that came with it…NOW we’re being told that the use of “Big Data” will be the next big thing in your job search?!
According to Forbes,
“Big data is a collection of data from traditional and digital sources inside and outside your company that represents a source for ongoing discovery and analysis.”
In layman’s terms, basically companies are going to analyze the bee-jezus out of information and try to predict business outcomes. Now, this new trend isn’t really a “trend” at all. For years, companies have been using big data to hone their business practices to get better results. Marketing is based in research. You don’t just shoot from the hip and hope that you hit your target. There has to be a stream-lined process, a method to the madness, and a planned execution of strategy.
Complete our HR & Recruiting Buyer Survey. Enter to win one of five $25 Visa gift cards. Click here.
And when you don’t get the results you had planned for…you go back to the drawing board.
USING BIG DATA WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING
When you apply the idea of using Big Data to the employment process, it means that you better have a social media brand that puts your best foot forward! It has already been said – “In some tight markets the candidate-composed résumé is already a thing of the past, having given way to dossiers compiled by companies.” (Shon Burton, founder of HiringSolved) Your on-line footprint will follow you to the grave. So beware! HR will be having a one-sided conversation with themselves, creating a story-line of who you are and who you are NOT!
5 REASONS WHY BIG DATA USED FOR THE HIRING PROCESS = DISASTER!
- Relationships Are Not Solely Based on Empirical Evidence – Math and Scientific laws always give you the same results. The rules around building business relationships are not exact. There has to be room for error.
- Are We United or Divided? – There are plenty of displaced workers due to the recession who have tremendous work-ethic and transferable skills. Unfortunately, many of them won’t be found by a recruiter who solely uses Big Data. This rich pool of applicants can’t catch the fast- paced train of technology…they’re too far behind.
- Control or Collaboration? – HR claims to want collaboration. Collaboration allows for discussion, debate and discovery with a candidate. Big Data is not collaborative – it’s controlling.
- You Can’t Have your Cake and Eat it Too – Big Data is going to further de-humanize our relationships. People will learn to present well on-line, or they’ll pay someone to make them look good! How does that create authenticity?
- This Too Shall Pass – The shi-shi term “Big Data” will eventually blow over. But what will be left in its path? Bigger corporate ego’s and a bigger divide amongst the herd. Hollywood makes movies on the premise of, “Art imitating life…and life imitating art.” Is this the future as a result of Big Data?
My auto mechanic has a thriving, successful business. I don’t think you would be able to find one person who doesn’t trust him. He’s honest, works hard, has a serviced-minded attitude and has skin in the game. I think we should be compiling “Big Data” on businesses like his to re-build the America we once knew.
What do you think?