Many employees can relate to the boredom felt by characters in the “Dilbert” comic strip and “Office Space” movie, but the office doesn’t have to be mind-numbingly dull. Following these simple tips can help you liven up any office atmosphere.
8 Ways to Spruce Up the Office
- Bring the outdoors into the office. Some office workers rarely get to enjoy the great outdoors, so bring the outdoors in with some plants. If taking care of plants is too much hassle, you can even rent plants and leave the maintenance to someone else.
- Encourage cubicle-dwellers to personalize their space. Provide some tasteful guidelines and let employees use their imaginations.
- Create a focal point with an accent wall. Accent walls command attention, so use them in spaces where clients and employees gather such as the reception area or conference room.
- Liven up the floor. When most people think of office décor, they forget the no-color architectural carpet at their feet. Area rugs can add a burst of color and define work areas. For inspiration, look to the colors of the company logo and marketing materials.
- Cut out the time-wasters in meetings. Everyone dreads unproductive meetings where employees watch the clock, wondering when they can get back to work. Have a strict time limit for reports, and eliminate self-explanatory items from the agenda.
- Invite a guest speaker for the next meeting, particularly someone with a humorous bent.
- Think beyond doughnuts for office snacks. Try some healthier and more interesting snacks such as bruschetta or hummus on crunchy mini artisan bread slices.
- Consider team-building activities such as sporting events, retreats or conferences. The best team-building activities will be ineffective, however, unless employees’ needs are met. One big need is insurance. BusinessInsurance.org can provide quotes on a wide range of products.