HRCI & SHRM Re-Certification Secrets on 6/29 or 7/20 at 11 AM CST. Recert credits available. Register here.
Since I’m speaking on how to integrate social media, mobile and other technologies into your workplace communication strategy mega session during SHRM 2014, I thought it only best to share with you my favorite mobile apps to help make the most of your trip to Orlando and the Annual SHRM Conference later this week.
This week on Blogging4Jobs, we are covering A LOT of blogs and resources related to the annual conference, which you can view by clicking here. However, I absolutely love the SHRM community, which is why I’m publishing helpful tips and hints on the SHRM site to reach those that might not regularly read the blog.
Whether you are an apple girl and someone who has an Android device, mobile apps are a great way to help navigate not just the SHRM conference but make the most of your time while traveling and running between sessions, parties, the hotel, dinner and events that are SHRM 2014.
- SHRM Conference App. This one goes without saying. You can manage your entire SHRM conference experience via this app, choose your favorite sessions and what companies to visit in the expo hall. Download here.
- Yelp. This is my go to food, dining and drink research mobile app that uses crowd-sourced reviews to make recommendations on where to eat, drink and just enjoy the city where you live or are visiting. Recently, while visiting Miami, I happened upon the most amazing secret brunch restaurant. You can use it to get suggestions and recommendations within driving or evening walking distance instantly. Download for IOS or Android.
- Flight Aware. Aside from downloading the mobile airline apps, this one offers a way to monitor flights including those of friends to see if they are arriving or departing on time and from which terminal or gate. This app comes in super handy if you have a tight connection and are wondering how far you have to run to your connecting flight. Download for IOS or Android.
- USPS. It never fails that I over shop either at one of the many outlet malls in Orlando or I snagged way too much vendor swag in the expo hall. I downloaded the USPS app that alerts me to the closest location to mail the extra items quickly and less costly than checking that extra bag at the airport before I go through security. Download for IOS or Android.
- Open Table. This is my go-to reservation app that I can use to get reservations quickly and via my mobile device. No more waiting in line or on the wait list at a nearby restaurant. Pro-tip: Create reservations for 4-6 or more during lunch and dinner times just in case you have an impromptu meeting. Download for IOS or Android.
- Uber. One of my favorite apps for town car and taxi transportation has just went live in Orlando two weeks ago. You download the app, add your credit card information and just request a car or cab to pick you up. Last year in Chicago, Uber saved me over from waiting forty-five in line at the Hyatt hotel. I have a special $20 off discount for new users of Uber. Click here for the money saving details.
- GroupMe. This app is used by unions often to quickly and easily communicate to members and those employees who are part of unionizing efforts at a company. For this reason alone, it’s a good idea to download the app and get familiar with how unions are targeting your company. The app also comes in handy when you are trying to coordinate dinner or cocktail plans with friends at your conference or event. Users can opt to receive text messages from group members or push notifications on their mobile device. Download for IOS or Android.
For more mobile app suggestions and tips to enjoying Orlando outside of the SHRM Annual Conference, download my free Orlando SHRM Guide by clicking here