In early June, YouTube migrated all channels to a new design called the “One Channel.” Channel owners had a choice to switch earlier than June, but many people just waited out the inevitable because of some grumblings about the Youtube One Channel design. It used to be that channel owners could brand the entire background of their YouTube real estate, allowing for additional messaging and creativity. The brand image could include content along the left and right sides, top and bottom.
With the Youtube One Channel design, there is simply a header image. Everything else appears to be rather similar to every other branded channel. However, with this new design your brand image is now also visible on iOS & Android apps, the mobile web and via the television (for people who watch YouTube on the boob-tube).
GREAT EXAMPLES OF THE NEW Youtube ONE CHANNEL DESIGN
- Unilever Careers: Unilever has matched their One Channel design to all of their other branded materials. It’s a really great mix of people, products and message.
- Intuit Careers: I’m not sure what surfing has to do with working at Intuit, but I like this one a lot! What do you think?
- Chipotle Careers: Simple and attention grabbing. Makes me want a burrito.
MORE BRANDED CHANNELS TO CHECK OUT
- Jobs at GEICO: Shameless plug here, but the channel that I manage is another one to review. We used real associates and one of our office buildings as the background, and it was created by an in-house designer. The GEICO consumer channel offers a completely different take on the company and shows a humorous side, too.
- CareerBuilder for Employers: Their key message flows from the header to the website link to their video trailer.
- Randstand Canada: I really like how Randstad is using the header image to show all of the different types of people they place and industry clients they represent. If I were to make a suggestion or two, it would be to show more diversity and possibly real employees. This feels a bit like stock photography … but, they are off to a good start!
CREATING A NEW HEADER IMAGE ON YOUTUBE ONE CHANNEL
For the best brand experience on all devices (desktop, mobile, etc.), your new Youtube One Channel image should be 2560 pixels X 1440 pixels. This is an important detail! There are quite a few header images that are too short and those seem to lose some of their “wow” factor. I like how — in some of the above examples — the profile picture, header image and website link all jive with one another. It brings continuity to the overall page and seems well thought out.
If you do not upload a new header image, your channel will automatically default to a not-so-exciting image as seen here in this example. As you can see, it definitely makes sense to partner with your design team or marketing agency and have them whip something up.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
I was very surprised by the number of channels — of the careers and employer genre — that lacked a new Youtube One Channel image. There are many big employers and HR vendors who have yet to remember that they have a YouTube channel to tend to.
Here are search results that you can use as a starting point for your research and be sure to check out this video from the YouTube Creators Blog. Bonus Tip: If you are reading this, please go review your company’s channel and see if a header image upload is needed.