Kathleen Mangiafico | , , , , , , , ,| By
Currently unemployed? Make sure your getting the maximum unemployment benefits by checking out of our Maximum Unemployment by State guide.
Having a strong work ethic, an unwavering belief, and a resolve to take action every day will get you through the trials and tribulations of life. This is a time-less, proven theory. (Talk to somebody who’s in their 80’s!)
The recession officially ended in June 2009. My family was a casualty of this economic war – my husband was out of work for 22 months after spending his entire career in one industry. It was a brutal time for everyone. My 10 year old was told the truth about Santa, I got launched back into the workforce full-time after staying home with children for nearly a decade (thank God I was able to find employment!) and my older teenagers learned that life required more than just being good boys.
“Change”…it’s a bitch!
All across the United States, there’s a constant buzz of complaining that it’s still a bad economy. Baloney! The reality is that we are in economic change…and will be for a long time!
The Washington Post ran an article December 23, 2013 – “In 27 states, unemployment is at its lowest in at least four years.” A Forbes report dated 2/7/14 is entitled: Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added 113,000 Jobs In January, Unemployment Down To 6.6%
Sounds promising, right? But if you read these articles you’ll quickly become emotionally confused about where the truth lies. The titles for these writing pieces are correct but when you read all the way through, you’ll also hear about people dropping out of the workforce who are no longer counted in the “unemployment” number….or that, although new jobs were added to the market, many states will have to add jobs much faster if they hope to close the wide gap between population growth and jobs growth. You can analyze the market from any angle to present the facts the way you want people to see them. You can blame Obama or the Bush administration, but the whole truth is that change is hard ….and the truth hurts!
THE TRUTH TO GAINING EMPLOYMENT AND GETTING BACK TO LIVING LIFE!
- Find acceptance for what your situation is today. Stop rewinding the tape recorder of life and trying to rewrite the script. Stop the “would of, should of, could of” dialogue with yourself – you’ll make yourself crazy.
- Put the rubber to the road! Nothing will happen unless you take ACTION. Get that resume up to date. Have a cover letter that speaks to each job you apply to. Have an on-line profile. Reach out to the people you know and network. I know it can be uncomfortable to seek help….but DO IT!
- Stay CURIOUS when job searching. Don’t be stuck on “what you do for a living.” Believe me; having money to pay your bills will suffice your ego! Take your transferable skill set and apply, apply, apply!
- Get everyone in the family involved with change. Create an economic budget that adds up and adjust your lifestyle. Dip into that 401k if need be. It’s not the end of the world. Shucks, my immigrant grandparents didn’t have one!
- Surround yourself with people who will help you problem solve – not complain. Explore options, push open a crack in a door, say yes to every opportunity to meet someone new or go on an interview…be a hunter and you will find something that leads you to the next piece of the puzzle to gaining employment!!
I remember being in 4th grade and crying at the dining room table because I had homework to do. All my friends were outside playing after dinner. My mother’s words – “Stop your crying! That won’t get the work done.”
These are words of wisdom. C’mon…Pick up your boot straps and get going! You ain’t dead yet.
Here’s some job leads if you’re interested: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week.
Spoken with fierce belief and love.